- The AACAP is the leading national professional medical association dedicated to treating and improving the quality of life for children, adolescents, and families affected by mental, behavioral, or developmental disorders
- The AACAP distributes information on mental illness treatment and prevention on its website to help promote understanding and remove stigma
- The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress is a network of professionals committed to the advancement of intervention for survivors of trauma
- The Academy hopes to increase awareness of the effects of traumatic events and the improved quality of interventions.
The American Psychiatric Association is an organization of psychiatrists working together to ensure humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental illness, including substance use disorders.
- APA is the leading scientific and professional organization representing psychology in the United States, with more than 115,700 researchers, educators, clinicians, consultants and students as its members.
- The APA hopes to educate, promote research, improve the qualifications of psychologists, and encourage the development and applications of psychology in the broadest manner.
- The American Red Cross is a network of donors, volunteers, and employees whose mission is to prevent and relieving suffering. They deliver vital services and relief in support of those in a crisis.
- The American Red Cross provides access to important information and resources through the website.
- The ADAA is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the prevention, treatment, and cure of anxiety, depressive, obsessive-compulsive, and trauma-related disorders through education, practice, and research.
- The ADAA provides professional education webinars, monthly newsletter, list of ADAA's online database, free online peer-to-peer support groups and many more resources.
- ABCT is an organization committed to the enhancement of health and well-being by advancing the scientific understanding, assessment, prevention, and treatment of human problems through the global application of behavioral, cognitive, and biological evidence-based principles.
- ABCT provides resources for professionals and students such as journals, videos, fact sheets, etc.
AMSUS, The Society of Federal Health Professionals, is a non-profit member-based educational and professional development association serving the Department of Defense, Veterans Affairs, Health and Human Services, and Homeland Security, federal health professionals and their families, our industry partners and advocates for advancing health for all- particularly through interagency collaboration.
The ASTSS provides a forum for extending the understanding, prevention and treatment of major stress and trauma within the Australasian region, and for promoting mental health, resilience, and post-traumatic growth.
The ASTSS provides resources such as treatment guidelines, trauma-focused journals, psychometrics/ tools, and state mental health act.
- The Canadian Red Cross is ready to act when disasters strike, support those in our communities, prevent injuries and abuse-and-we help save lives, and respond out in the world
- The Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health is an independent, not-for-profit organization with an affiliation with the University of Melbourne which promotes recovery for the 15 million Australian affected by trauma
- The center focuses on research, service development, education, and training in order to understand, promote, and prevent recovery from trauma.
The Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress (CSTS) sustained mission is to advance scientific and academic knowledge, interventions, educational resources and outreach to mitigate the impact of trauma from exposure to war, disasters, terrorism, community violence and public health threats.
The Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma, a project of the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, is dedicated to informed, innovative and ethical news reporting on violence, conflict, and tragedy.
The Dart Center’s website provides timely articles, expert interviews, journalist-to-journalist advice, tip sheets and other resources.
- David Baldwin's Trauma Information Pages focus on providing information for clinicians and researchers in the traumatic-stress field
- This website includes information about trauma, trauma articles, trauma resources, trauma support, information about disaster mental health, trauma bookstore, and links to other topics
The German Society for Psychotraumatology (DeGPT) is a scientific society that provides a forum for physicians, psychologists, psychotherapists and psychotherapists, as well as representatives of other professional groups involved in psychotherapeutic, medical, pedagogical and counseling with people Trauma disorders work.
- The ESTSS promotes the sharing of knowledge and experience about all aspects of psychotraumatology.
- They conduct research, foster best practices, building networks, and contribute to public policy at the European level.
- This website provides links to four national and international organizations, here to help you with articles, references, web-links, mini-courses, 800 phone access, and e-mail pen-pal resources.
- It is provided by the Dart Foundation.
- The Institute on Violence, Abuse, and Trauma (IVAT) strive to be comprehensive resources, training and research center dealing with all aspects of violence, abuse, and trauma.
- They focus on collaborations with various partnering organizations and hope to improve current systems of care on a local, national, and global levels.
- The ICRC's mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and international violence and to provide them with assistance.
- The ICRC is an independent, neutral organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence.
- It takes action in response to emergencies and at the same time promotes respect for international humanitarian law and its implementation in national law.
- The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies shares information about the effects of trauma, disseminates knowledge about policy, program, and service initiatives
- JSTSS is a professional membership organization devoted to the advancement of understanding of traumatic stress and treatment, through scientific knowledge and clinical experience.
- The Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit organization committed to clinical practice, education, and research, providing expert, whole-person care to everyone who needs healing.
- This website provides resources about a variety of information.
MIRECCs (Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Centers) and CoEs (Centers of Excellence) Mission were created to generate new knowledge about the causes and treatments of mental disorders, apply new findings to model clinical programs, and widely disseminate new findings through education to improve the quality of veterans’ lives and their daily functioning in their recovering from mental illness.
- A society that gives voice to psychological trauma, and cares for those who have suffered.
- The society provides clinical and other interventions to empower those with traumatic life experiences and increases the recognition and treatment implications for psychological trauma.
- NAMI is the nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans that are affected by mental illness.
This unique network of frontline providers, family members, researchers, and national partners is committed to changing the course of children’s lives by improving their care and moving scientific gains quickly into practice across the U.S.
The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) is the Federal Government’s lead agency for scientific research on the diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine.
The mission of the National Center for PTSD is to advance the clinical care and social welfare of America's Veterans and others who have experienced trauma, or who suffer from PTSD, through research, education, and training in the science, diagnosis, and treatment of PTSD and stress-related disorders.
The National Center for Victims of Crime is a non-profit organization that advocates for victims’ rights, trains professionals who work with victims, and serves as a trusted source of information on victims’ issues.
- NIMH is the lead federal agency for research on mental disorders.
- NIMH’s mission is to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure.
The Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention (CASP) was incorporated in 1985 by a group of professionals who saw the need to provide information and resources to communities to reduce the suicide rate and minimize the harmful consequences of suicidal behaviour.
- PTSD Alliance is an association of advocacy and professional organizations for individuals suffering from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- Alliance members have made it their mission to increase awareness of this common and serious health condition to PTSD sufferers, their families, and the general public.
The PTSD Association of Canada is a not for profit organization that exists to help those experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), those at risk for PTSD and those who care for traumatized individuals, as well as their families, friends and fellow workers and medical community.
- The PTSD Foundation of America's mission is to combat post-traumatic stress disorder by bringing healing, raising awareness, and networking.
PTSD United is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing support and resources for sufferers of PTSD, their families and caregivers, and anyone interested in learning more about Post Traumatic Stress.
SAMHSA's mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America's communities.
- Sidran is a non-profit organization of international scope that helps people understand, recover from, and treat traumatic stress, dissociative disorder, and co-occurring issues (addictions, self-injury, and suicidality).
- The LifeLine Canada Foundation (TLC) is a registered non-profit committed to positive mental health and suicide prevention in Canada and Worldwide.
- The LifeLine Canada Foundation is committed to suicide reduction across Canada by raising awareness of risk factors, providing access to online resources options, and promoting local programs to build mental health resilience for all.
- The organization is a non-profit professional association made up of individuals and organizations, supporting numerous state and regional affiliates (chapters).
The mission of the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences is to educate, train, and comprehensively prepare uniformed services health professionals, scientists, and leaders to support the Military and Public Health Systems, the National Security and National Defense Strategies of the United States, and the readiness of our Uniformed Services.
- The WHO works with the United Nations' system to provide leadership, shape research agenda, set norms and standards, articulate ethical and evidence-based policy options, and provide technical support.
This article will provide a list of organizations and additional resources for posttraumatic stress disorder and trauma. This list can be used to find resources for health care professionals, friends, and family, as well as identify key stakeholders.
For more information on wound care: A Guide to Understanding PTSD