The Rehabilitation Program application process involves the following steps:
- The veteran submits an application and all required documentation.
- Veterans Affairs Canada makes a decision on eligibility. The Department’s standard for making a decision is two weeks. Note that in its documentation, Veterans Affairs Canada expresses its service standards in weeks for making an eligibility decision and in days for assessing a veteran and preparing a case plan.
- For eligible veterans,
- The Veterans Affairs Canada case manager completes an assessment of the veteran’s health needs.
- The case manager prepares a case plan and approves treatment. The Veterans Affairs Canada standard for preparing a case plan is 45 days after the decision on eligibility.
- The eligible veteran can be reimbursed for mental health services payable from the date of a rehabilitation eligibility decision.
Note: In its documentation, Veterans Affairs Canada expresses its service standards in “weeks” for making an eligibility decision and in “days” for assessing a veteran and preparing a case plan.
Source: Information obtained from Veterans Affairs Canada's published service standards and internal documentation.