An important first step to getting started with Mailchimp is setting up your audience. This is where you’ll store and manage all your contact data in MailChimp. Check out MailChimps article for additional details on how to Create a Mailchimp Audience
- A Contact list will need to be exported from a csv/tab text file, .xls or .xlsx, or from services like google contacts, salesforce, and zendesk. For our purposes, we will be exporting contacts from Nimble into Mailchimp. Here is Guide on how to export from Nimble into Mailchimp to help you with this step.
- Colleaga exported Nimble contacts to a csv/.xls/.xlsx files first, then copied the needed columns to Mailchimp Audience list. In addition, we copy the contact information to our master list as well.
- Once contacts are imported they will need to be given tags to segment them based on the type of campaign being sent out. More about tags here. Tags can be added when contacts are imported. In situations where we needed to resend emails to some existing contacts, we created new tags to identify them.
- After a campaign is sent, Colleaga needed to identify the contacts that required a follow up, and added new tags to them depending on what further action we'll take. Colleaga sent reminder emails to all recipients that did not interact with the initial email. Unsubscribed recipients were removed automatically by Mailchimp and did not receive any more emails. A list of bounced email addresses was compiled to figure out the next steps in reaching them. Imported data was then updated to the Mailchimp Audience, we need to check the "Update Existing Contacts" option.
Email design and layout will then need to be created in the templates tab and can later be integrated with a campaign.
Survey Monkey integration emails cannot be made into a template. More layouts and themes available with mailchimp upgrade.
- Content studio is where all of your images will need to be uploaded (logos, images, buttons).
- To create a Survey Monkey integration email, the email will need to be designed manually in the campaign and cannot have a template. (For all other emails continue to the template section)
- First step in creating the email template will be to add a logo. Logo for survey monkey integration has a width of 150 and can only be placed on the top left corner due to Survey Monkey integration limits.
- While Survey Monkey integration does come with a button, we opted to create our own by creating a button as an image and linking the surveymonkey integration link into the image. Colleaga used the following button templates when creating a button.
- Assessment button has a width of 350 (height automatically adjusts)
- For survey monkey integration to work, the link we used was https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/colleagaCIasS?c=*|UNIQID|* which was autogenerate by Mailchimp for the Survey Monkey integration.
- Colleaga used a plain white background with a header with a hex colour code of #8dc63f.
- Colleaga removed the facebook and twitter logos as they were not required for our purposes.
All campaigns and test to be created on the campaign tab
- Items needed for campaign creation: Audience (and corresponding tags), Sender (From who the email will be sent), Subject, Email template.
- For survey monkey integration, you will create a campaign and design the email by going into themes > Integrations > Surveymonkey basic templates
- The survey monkey basic template is very limited in design and how it can be edited
- To update the design of the very limited survey monkey design, Colleaga changed the color of the main header to white to allow us to include our logo (remove all previous survey monkey wording).
- Optional (remove twitter and facebook logos).
- Colleaga included all content in “Tell us what you think” portion.
- Colleaga did not use the survey monkey button and created its own, the button was deleted (this was done by removed text and making the button the same colour as the background).text and make the button white to hide it.
- Colleaga then uploaded an image of a button and used the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/colleagaCIasS?c=*|UNIQID|* to ensure survey monkey integration features work!
Once all fields are filled campaign can either be sent out immediately or scheduled for a later date (P.S campaigns can always be edited or canceled before they are sent out if scheduled at a later date).
All analytics data to be viewed here including: Successful deliveries, total opens, last opened, if it was forwarded, and total clicks.
All individual campaign analytics are located here as well as overall data (once enough data has been generated)
'Analytics 360' is where you will find all survey monkey integration analytics data
Links tab will indicate what links are being clicked as well as a click map to show overall link click flow.
'Overview' will have all general analytics with the option to export the data in excel format (data can also be downloaded). 24 hour email performance is updated automatically.
More analyitics will be described later on in the anayltic section of the Playbook.
MailChimp is a marketing automation platform and an email marketing service. We will be using this platform as our engagement tool to conduct mass email campaigns.
In this article we will detail the points below, according to our best practice:
- Managing an audience
- Creating email template
- Configuring the campaign