Rationale / Objectives
Project/Program Description & Major Achievements
Colleaga developed the collaborative innovation community between the six founding partners to establish a health information exchange with the goal of improving healthcare consumer outcomes, quality, safety, and efficiency of care for all South Africans.
- Established the collaborative governance, decision making, and resource sharing policies and processes.
- Nurtured a Global Health Information Exchange Community of Practice to assist the South African Collaborative
- Facilitated the development of a feasibility study and road map for Health Information Sharing services that provide relevant patient health information to private Payers and Providers in South Africa in a safe, secure and timely manner.
Innovation leaders across the world are challenged to bring together innovation consumers and solvers, capital, knowledge, and incubation resources to create synergistic innovation ecosystems that accelerate and scale.
Six organizations in the South African private healthcare industry, represent 500 hospitals and 8 million lives under management had not been able to perform industry wide health data sharing that provides comprehensive relevant patient health information to authorized clinicians. This has resulted in suboptimal care for patients when their clinicians are unable to access their patient data generated in different caresettings, or convened to discuss the potential for a robust health information exchange system. The six founding partners agreed to explore the possibility of a health information exchange with the goal of improving healthcare consumer outcomes, quality, safety, and efficiency of care for all South Africans by developing Health Information Sharing services that provide relevant patient health information to private Payers and Providers in South Africa in a safe, secure, and timely manner.
CareConnect is a not for profit organization that combines the collaborative efforts of 6 South African private healthcare corporate entities, along with Colleaga; a global health system innovative collaborative, to build a national health data exchange to benefit all patients and healthcare stakeholders in South Africa. Providing a platform to securely share health information in the health care system has many positive results including better quality, more safe, efficient, improved patient outcomes.
The first phase of this project which included the development of a memorandum of understanding in collaborative governance, decision making and resource sharing has been completed. In addtion, the development of a feasibility study and road map for the future of the project has been finalized.
The Colleaga platform has developed a Health Information Exchange (HIE) Community of Practice that includes content from well-established global leaders such as the Institution of Healthcare Innovation, the OpenHIE movement, eHealth Observatory and many other resources. This is a space where subject matter experts and curious learners can convene and share case studies, tools, and articles about health informatic exchange to inform current practices.
Colleaga builds interacting innovation communities:
- Colleaga regional innovation communities empower problem solvers in a region to collaborate with each other, with teams, and with other organizations in their ecosystems
- Colleaga Global communities of practice enable solvers to collaborate and advance practice in a shared knowledge domain.
- Colleaga Virtual incubator communities enable entrepreneurs to collaborate with mentors, find business support, as well as discovering financing resources.
The Colleaga platform enables global ecosystem members to set up and interconnect different kinds of communities with:
- Collaboration tools for innovation teams to work together effectively;
- A global innovation commons and network to openly share solutions, articles, tools, and templates that have worked elsewhere in the world.
- Private communities of practice with mentors, influencers, and knowledge in a wide variety of different domains, to help solvers find global markets and create market driven solutions
- Crowdsourcing and open innovation tools to run business case competitions, hackathons, design competitions, and challenges.
- Tools to share common business and entrepreneur support resources across multiple sites
- Sophisticated state of the art computing, artificial intelligence, and learning environments that solvers can use to develop their products and solutions more quickly and with greater competitive differentiators
- Access to incubators and accelerators in different countries across the world to gain international market presence
- Analytics dashboards to measure and improve innovation processes
- Every problem solver grappling with a system problem could connect with someone who had solved a similar problem
- Innovation communities could easily link collaborators with effective innovation processes
- Every entrepreneur could more easily find global partners and markets
- Every incubator could provide world class knowledge and tools to its entrepreneur clients.