Key Questions: What is a Master Patient Index (MPI)? How can an MPI be implemented? What is a good strategy to manage an MPI?
Sharing healthcare records can be a challenge in a complex environment where there are multiple systems across multiple healthcare institutions and each institution and/or system has a different way to identify their clients. The OHIE provides a guide on how to implement an MPI to ensure the unique identity of an individual amongst the fragmented information systems which collectively represent a person’s electronic health record.
- Step 1: Analyze the Environment
- Step 2: Establish Leadership and Ownership
- Step 3: Document Specifications and Requirements
- Step 4: Implement Specifications
- Step 5: Create Support Plan
- Step 6 Post-Production Evaluation
- Job Aid - Analyze the Current Environment
- Job Aid - Data Specification Guide
- Data Specification