Key Questions: What are the quality standards for opioid prescription for acute pain? How does it differ for those over the age of 15?
This quality standard provides guidance on the appropriate prescribing, monitoring, and tapering of opioids to treat acute pain for people 15 years of age and older in all care settings. It does not address opioid prescribing for chronic pain or end-of-life care, nor does it address the management of opioid use disorder in depth. Please refer to Health Quality Ontario’s Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Pain quality standard and Opioid Use Disorder quality standard for detailed quality statements related to these topics.
- About Quality Standards
- How to Use Quality Standards
- About This Quality Standard
- Quality Statements in Brief
- Quality Statement 1: Comprehensive Assessment
- Quality Statement 2: Multimodal Therapies
- Quality Statement 3: Opioid Dose and Duration
- Quality Statement 4: Information on Benefits and Harms of Opioid Use and Shared Decision-Making
- Quality Statement 5: Acute Pain in People Who Regularly Take Opioids
- Quality Statement 6: Acute Pain in People With Opioid Use Disorder
- Quality Statement 7: Prescription Monitoring Systems
- Quality Statement 8: Tapering and Discontinuation
- Quality Statement 9: Health Care Professional Education
- About Health Quality Ontario