The purpose of this handbook is to help healthcare organizations such as hospitals, long term care facilities, group homes, public health units, dental or medical facilities, and community settings to develop, implement and maintain effective workplace violence prevention programs or to improve existing programs by presenting a generic development model and associated resources.
Step-by-step model for developing or improving a violence prevention program:
- Step 1: Establishing a violence prevention working group and enlisting support
- Step 2: Conducting a risk assessment
- Step 3: Developing and implementing control measures
- Step 4: Providing education and training
- Step 5: Conducting an annual review
Appendices include background information, checklist, sample forms, and resources to assist those involved in program development or review.